Healthy Soil = Healthy Grass
Healthy, well-draining soil is crucial to maintaining a dense, pest-free turf lawn. Soil testing will enable you to properly correct pH & nutrient imbalances, compaction & drainage issues, and balance the soil’s ecosystem. Sending off your soil sample & receiving the lab results will take time, so the first step will be to order a soil kit so you have it on hand and ready to ship to the lab.
SoilKit.com is an excellent resource for soil testing. Although they generally have a quicker turnaround than your local Ag Extension, it can take a couple of weeks to ship the kit both ways. For this reason, it is pragmatic to have the kit on hand when you are ready to take the samples & ship them off once the ground preparations are complete. You can read more about soil testing on Soilkit.com.
Warnings & Tips
- Soil Testing will take approximately 8 to 14 days.
- For accurate results, do not test your soil before applying herbicides or using the solarization method.
- SoilKit.com will provide a customized prescription lawn care plan, taking the guesswork out of soil amending.
- Results in as quick as 48 hours once the lab receives the kit.
- During high season, it may take longer for SoilKit.com’s lab to process the results. Make sure to speak with a SoilKit.com rep about timeframes.
What You’ll Need
- Internet access
- Landscaping Gloves *Optional*
- Other PPE *Optional*